Tuesday, June 1, 2010

P90X Day 1 - The Good and the Ugly




OK so the good news is, I got new shoes! That is the ONLY upside on P90X Day 1, cute new kicks. You need cross trainers and not just normal regular shoes in order to torture yourself in unspeakable ways. My loving husband bought them for me and so at least in the horrendous "before" pics my feet look good.

To start, we spent a half million dollars on healthy food and packed the fridge.


We ate what felt like a ton of food but still seemed to be hungry. Breakfast consisted of SIX egg whites in an omelet with tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions. We also ate a cup of cottage cheese and fresh squeezed orange juice.












We had homemade veggie soup and chicken salad for lunch and swordfish, asparagus, and rice for dinner. The snack for the day was 30 pistachios. Thirty sounds like a lot, but it is so not. We drank a lot of water , Crystal Light, and black coffee with Splenda.

Overall we had a lot of great food to eat. I just need to retrain my Weight Watcher brain that all this food is actually fuel that I MUST eat in order to have maximum performance in this new style of exercise.

By 8:30 pm we finally got ourselves ready to start the first workout. This was after we took the fantastic and charming "before" pictures. I am very hesitant to share them because we look very much in need a of a program such as this. I am mortified that I gained so much weight back already. But this is a different day and a different type of training and I am so open to the possibilities.

This program is VERY VERY hard. If you want a kick ass body, you will have to work VERY VERY hard for it! The most important thing, as with everything in life is, never ever ever give up, even if you cry, like I did.


Please understand that I am very excited about this program. I am very optimistic and committed to the exercise as a whole. I am in love with the fact that I get to do this with my husband. I am also a very sarcastic person and I am narrating with my typical air of snottiness, not because I am being negative, just because I'm calling it like I feel it, keepin' it real....plus it's funnier this way.

Did you know there are more than 1 type of push up? Well there are, like 5 or 27 or something. You have to do them all on the first video.

The first program is arms and back. Pretty much it consists of 4 different kinds of pull-ups and like 6 different kinds of push ups. I tried my hardest and used the resistance bands instead of the pull-up bar....mostly because dangling there in front of the bathroom mirror in all my inept glory was not my idea of a productive use of time. As far as pushing up goes, I tried and tried and tried. Some of them I got and some of them not. Suffice to say I pushed up more than I ever have in my entire life and I need way more practice.

The main guy on the video is pleasant enough to listen to. He is very upbeat and kind of dorky. I just wish that they would have a section where they explain each exercise and give you proper technique. It took me a little bit to catch on to each exercise and by the time I caught up they were half way through that set. The pace is great, it moves very quickly so we seemed to have gotten through it rather quickly.

After the first program we also did the 16 minute ab shredder. That video gives you over 300 different repetitions of ab building twisting, crunching, and gut busting. It is totally worth it and I totally need it.

Afterward I was sore but was motivated to go upstairs and get on my elliptical machine. Once I finished drinking my "recovery shake" and cleaning the kitchen however, my body gave up and we went to bed instead.

Overall, so far so good. Rob did better than I did but he struggled too. This will be an interesting journey for us both.

So here are the before pics, laugh if you must, but we will get better and you are sitting there eating Cheetos...so there's that.



















2 comments:

  1. Loving the tan lines. At least you have some though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh ha ha, he wanted me to put a tan line disclaimer on here...lol.

    ReplyDelete