Friday, July 16, 2010

Scentsy - My Story

Scentsy has asked military spouses to write articles about their experience as a consultant. They are planing on doing a PR campaign with Military Spouses Magazine and want to feature some of us. They will be selecting contributors based on the entries provided.

This is my submission:

As the wife of a Marine, my life is not my own. I live where I am told to live, move when I am told to move, and parent our 4 & 1 year olds alone more often than I’d like. As a mother and military wife you become quickly accustomed to change and an all-encompassing life of “have to’”. You do what you have to do to maintain consistency for your children and keep the family moving forward. Often times you are the family’s greatest asset because you are “the glue” and that becomes your identity for as long as you are living the military lifestyle.
This has been my life for the past several years. My husband has been to Iraq 3 times and provided humanitarian aid to victims of both hurricane Katrina and the Haitian earthquake. He has been away more often on training missions and deployments than he has been home. We have moved 8 times. Our son was born in CA and our daughter was born in Japan. Our life is amazing and I LOVE every minute of it. We are not at all extraordinary by military standards. We are a typical military family doing what we do because we love our Marine, our country, and each other.
Before I found Scentsy this was my life. I was a Mother and a military wife and I lived a life of service to my family. It is all I ever wanted and I was very happy. What I began to realize was that I did not do anything in my day that was just for me. I found accomplishment in maintaining the day-to-day life and in making sure my family received all they needed to be happy. Don’t get me wrong, that is a very meaningful life purpose, it just never offered me a niche in life that was just mine alone.


A fellow Marine wife and Scentsy customer, Danielle Butler, introduced me to the products when we were living in Okinawa Japan last October. I fell in love with the product and found another Marine wife in CA, Karen Fettes, who became my sponsor. I initially joined because I though the product was awesome and I wanted to be able to earn commission on what I purchased. I thought it would be a fun thing to send to my family back in the states as gifts. I never imagined how it would change my life and help me to create my own identity.
In typical military fashion, as soon as I made the decision to join Scentsy we received new orders to move from Okinawa, Japan to Norfolk, Virginia. We had been expecting to stay on the island for 6 more months and instead had 6 more weeks. So during my first 70 days with Scentsy I had a family, new business, and an intercontinental move to manage. As a military wife I did what we always do; put my head down and started marching forward.
In my first 2 weeks with Scentsy I recruited Danielle my neighbor, my Mother, and another friend in the states. My launch party was only $150 and we ended October 2009 with just over $550 in sales. By the end of Nov my team had grown to 12 people and we had sales at nearly $13,000. I became a Scentsy Director in my very first month!
By then our move was in full swing and the family spent most of Dec - Jan living in hotels in both countries. Once in Virginia we began house hunting and I sold Scentsy to everyone we met including our realtor and the finance manager at the car dealership. I had travel tins all over our hotel room and spritzed room spray wherever we went.
We bought a house, received our express shipment, and were ready to start settling in when the military threw us another curve. My husband reported for duty in mid Jan and was immediately (less then 24 hrs) deployed to Haiti. The kids and I moved into our new home the next day without Dad. He was gone for 3 months.
During that time I unpacked, found schools, created routines, and sold Scentsy. No one who came near our house was safe. I sold Scentsy to the FedEx man who got his truck stuck in the snow in our driveway. I had a Scent Event for the lady who came out to measure our closets for organizing systems. I even recruited another military wife, Cases Dunham, who came to the house to pick up something I gave away on Freecycle. Life moved forward and so did my Scentsy business.
In my first 70 days I earned the Scentsational Start Level 3 award by selling over $6,000 in product and recruiting 7 people. By the time my husband returned in April our home was set up and my Scentsy group had grown to 43 consultants with over $24,000 in sales.
I am now in my 8th month with Scentsy and my group has grown to 66 consultants; the majority of whom are military spouses. I love what Scentsy has done in my life and what it has enabled me to share with others. Because of Scentsy I have become a leader, mentor, and teacher. I have been given the tools to carve out a niche that is mine to develop. I have been given the opportunity to empower other military wives to build businesses of their own that they can take with them wherever the military send them.
Because of Scentsy I have started to realize who I really am. I know what talents I have to share. I am able to touch the lives of others and make things smell good. Scentsy has given me a vision for the future of our family.
I am the wife of a United States Marine, mother of two, and Independent Scentsy Director. I still live a life orchestrated by the military but because of Scensty I will be able to create a new path for our family where we all have more choices and less “have to”.
If anyone wants to know more about Scentsy products or about the Scentsy business opportunity, please let me know.
You can also shop online and join my team at www.inascentfun.com

No comments:

Post a Comment