Thursday, April 2, 2009

In Honor of SSgt Daddy




Typically this blog consists of exciting topics like “Vincent can spell thesaurus but can’t take off his socks” and “Oops Vivi puked again”; but not today folks.




Today’s blog is dedicated to the accomplishments of Daddy.






Yesterday I had the privilege of watching my husband get promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps. We were hoping to have the ceremony on the beach but the weather would not cooperate. This is the first time I have ever seen a promotion ceremony. Though it was simple and brief; I was pleased to see the number of Marines who voluntarily took time out of their day to attend and show respect for my husband’s accomplishment.


I’ve been doing research online to try to explain rank structure and the promotion thing to everyone and it is all pretty complicated. If you are really curious about what it all means click here.



The most interesting fact I found was this: of the approximate 154,348 enlisted active duty Marines only 9.6% hold the rank of SSgt (E-6). That makes me feel pretty proud.



The Ceremony





Reading the Order





Pinning the Chevrons


Presentation of Certificate of Promotion

Re-affirming Oath of Enlistment



I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same. That I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.



Obligatory photo with the Colonel and the wife so she feels included!



Let’s hear a big OORAH! for


Staff Sergeant Robert L. Schrock Jr.



Semper Fi Marine





1 comment: